Picking the Best Wood Garage Door07/31/2013 Back To Blog
The first garage doors were made of wood and it is amazing to think that this material is still very popular to this very day. Of course, there have been major changes and manufacturers produce different wood door panels. Today, wood is processed as to last longer and resist elements while it comes out in different styles and colors. The bottom line is, you can choose from a plethora of wood garage doors but you must choose the best one for your home.
- Before you make your final choice it is good to consider your options in regard to your personal requirements.
- Price. You should buy the best door possible without exceeding your budget. Don't forget to take into account the cost of installation and future garage door maintenance.
- Color. Some people would prefer buying a painted door, while others would prefer buying a plain wooden door. In any case, you must make sure it is varnished. Varnish paint is compatible with most colors. It will protect the door from the weather and it won't warp. If you want to add color, make sure it matches the rest of your house.
- Type of wood. Timber is divided into two major categories: hardwood and softwood. Hardwood is the most appropriate because it is more resistant. Softwood is cheaper but not as strong.
- Design. There are various styles of doors. You can install garage door windows; get sectional or overhead doors.
Wood garage door parts
Before you proceed with garage door panel replacement, you must also check the other parts of the mechanism. Wood is one of the heaviest materials and depending on its size, you may need to replace the springs to ensure proper and safe lifting of the door. Check the horsepower of the current opener in order to make sure it is sufficient for the new door and also examine the size of the tracks and strengths of the rollers.
In any case, you must never forget that wood doors might require more regular maintenance. You would need to keep applying varnishes in order to keep the door from warping and must never forget the importance of garage door repair services.