Are Electric Openers Hazard for Children11/02/2013 Back To Blog
Electric garage door installation is meant to provide safety and convenience and not be a hazard. It was not a mere coincidence that the US Consumer Product Safety Commission required all electric openers made in 1993 onwards to have a reverse system. 54 kids between 2 and 14 died from the year 1982 to the year 1992. The truth is that the reverse mechanism made a great difference to the safety of the door operation. So, what went wrong and the children garage door accidents continued? The official data of CPSC show that approximately ten more children of the same age were killed due to problematic openers till 1997.
Since then many people have made incredible efforts to alter the situation. Manufacturers produced more sensors and made great improvements to the systems, experts warn clients about the need for regular garage door maintenance and official commissions continued their endeavors of warning parents about the dangers of unmaintained automatic openers suggesting methods and cooperating closely with large manufacturing industries for more effective results. Yet, we still find ourselves talking about the hazards of electric openers.
Take care of the electric opener
The truth is that some people take warnings lightheartedly. How else could anyone explain that over 40% of reverse mechanisms are not working properly according to the official CPSC data? Sensors would do their job fine if they would only be checked, repaired and replaced regularly. The parents of the world should know better than trusting remote controls to their kids. They should remember that garage systems are not toys. Of course, teaching kids about the threat of a collapsing door or the danger of hurting their fingers by putting them in the section joints is not easy. That's why everyone recommends keeping the children away from the moving door.
These days, you can get sensors, which detect carbon monoxide and this is also important for the kids' safety. Contemporary automatic garage door openers are not a hazard; they can actually provide extra safety to children as well as adults as long as people start taking the advice of experts seriously, never neglect garage door repairs, get top quality products and avoid installing and fixing components on their own.